Cuyahoga House in Kent, Ohio





Built in 1827 at Mantua and Cuyahoga sts. (today's Diggers) for use by a stage coach company. The Cuyahoga House gained its greatest fame as a canal tavern. The canal boats could safely tie up nearby and the crew could walk a short distance to the tavern. A young James Garfield was one of those canal men. Before and during the Civil War the tavern was reputed for secreting slaves from the south to Cleveland. There they escaped by boat to Canada. The building was razed in 1907 - the pillars were moved to a house on W. Main St. in Ravenna, and can still be seen today.